Cheap Boiler Installations & Plumbing repairs - don’t get ripped off!
Sometimes a cheap price can work out to be a very costly decision, so don't be ripped-off by boiler or plumber cowboys.
There are a few things to consider when getting a job done cheap. You must bare in mind that you are investing money in your home, if the work hasn’t been carried out to the manufactures Installation requirements.
This can lead to you not having a guarantee or even worse being left in a dangerous condition. Whether it be a new Boiler, Shower, Gas Cooker or a new Hot water storage vessel... The list is endless when it comes to installation faults. For example: a flue not being installed correctly, gas supply not the correct size for the appliance, even the wrong ventilation. All these could be life threatening!
Here’s a little check list to help you make the right decision when accepting any proposal for work being undertaken on your Central Heating or Plumbing in your home:
- If its gas work; central heating repairs or a new Gas Boiler installation. Are they Gas safe registered? And for how long?
- Do they have a Gas Safe ID card?
- Are they Gas safe registered to Work with that appliance? As there are lots of areas to be Gas Safe for and you will find it’s a different qualification for different types of gas appliances and if they are not qualified to install or work on your appliance the engineer or plumber might be breaking the law and leaving you with possibly a dangerous installation and no guarantee from the manufacture. You have to have separate qualifications for Gas fires, Warm Air units. Gas cookers, Agars, Unvented Hot water systems, Solar Panel’s, Gas Boilers Domestic and commercial. An engineer’s abilities are listed on the back of their Gas Safe Card.
- Check your Gas engineers Qualifications at http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
- How long have they been in business in your area?
- Have they got public liability insurance to work in your home?
- Are they approved by the Manufacture to install the appliance?
- Will you get a VAT invoice? Sometimes not paying Vat can be a sign that something is a miss.
- How easy are they to get a hold of if you have a problem?
- Will they be registering your guarantee for you appliance? And how long is the guarantee?
- Will they be registering your appliance with gas safe for a Gas safe Certificate to prove the installation is open to inspection from gas safe and installed to building regulations?
- Finally Check the paper work is your appliance manual all filled in ie. The bench mark certificate or log book.. here’s a link to show you what we mean: http://www.boilerreplacement.net/benchmark_sheet.html
Remember: if a quote you receive is much cheaper than others, there's usually a good reason why. Hopefully this check list will help you work out WHY?
Author: Tony Hernandez